Saturday, March 19, 2011

Putting it all Together

The course is slowly coming to an end. We have learned many new skills and developed the ability to put together an online course from beginning to end. We have read and absorbed the ten best practices for teaching on line as Boettcher and Conrad taught us in the readings. We have worked together to put information into the Diigo communications place we selected as students. We have commented on the presentations of our classmates and thought deeply about the material presented to us.

Finally, we have thought about and decided on a project or presentation. A presentation that will put all of the information we have gleaned over the past several weeks, into a polished, interesting video or Voice Thread, etc. Based on my classmates’ presentations in Diigo lately, I can safely say “we,” when talking about what we have done and learned.

Once our instructor Jen told us we would need to present 7 of the best practices of Boettcher in a video with a voice application, I thought deeply about the skills I would need to learn to do this. I started with a program named Jing. I asked the instructor for help, only to be told it was something I needed to explore on my own as part of this assignment. Wonderful! I download Jing and started to learn how it works.

My biggest problem was figuring out how to capture the screen and talk as I went through my substitute for a LMS system, Wikispaces. Several hours later, when I was still figuring out how to use Jing…I found myself contemplating using virtual anger applications, e.g. virtual pie throwing (like some videos I found on You Tube did) to vent on my unknowing, unsuspecting instructor. At this point, my husband (quietly sitting next to me working on his income taxes) in his uneducated wisdom told me…"now you know how your students will feel about you when they attempt their projects at the end of the course." Well, with that comment I found myself quickly reversing my negative thoughts and diving into the application with gusto, while wondering how someone who is not college or university educated gets right to the point before I do!

Alas, I managed to figure out how the application works and posted a video to You Tube. Two problems presented themselves: 1) how to bring the voice up on the microphone during the presentation; and 2) trying to figure out why my wide screen Windows 7 Touch Screen computer put only half a picture on the video. Sigh…once again, I began to resent technology and knew I had much to learn in the remaining week. Thankfully I have gotten acrylic nails so I cannot bite them while doing this project!

Jen has taught me during this course to take deep breaths and count virtual sheep in my mind, while I try to chill. Lately, while working on the project and taking deep breaths, I find myself counting virtual bottles of low calorie beer. Oh well, this too will pass. All this stress while starting a demanding new full time job; losing one pound a week on Weight Watchers; working on the Eastside Domestic Violence crisis line from 7-12 PM Sunday evenings; going to gigs and practicing with my band; fighting the state UI office, who unfairly ruled I quit a job that nearly took away my ability to work at my Bellevue College job or any other job for that matter. Okay, why wasn’t I born independently wealthy? Better yet, why did I go for a Political Science Ph.d, instead of going full time to law school and becoming an employment law attorney?

So stay tuned blog readers…my presentation will appear in my next blog. Until then, I have had my hair colored again and it turned out horrible and had it cut and it looks awful. That is what I get for asking for a Lisa Rinna look and hair cut. Luckily I can wear a wig during our last class for this course scheduled on the 22nd of March. I will be the one taking all the deep breaths and counting quietly, with my eyes closed in a gray or platinum wig.

Great video on how to use You Tube in your course.

No comments:

Post a Comment