Sunday, February 13, 2011

Instructure Canvas: A Learning Management System

In this module we were suppose to explore and find out how to use a Learning Management System.  After looking around, Jen came up with this one.  I registered, logged in and had a look around.  It was so simple, my first thought was it probably has a lot of problems I can’t see.  So, I want to build my course on this system to fully understand how it operates.  I want to know for certain that it can be used easily.  So far, my understanding is, you can upload files into it, including pictures.  So I uploaded my Module 1 slide presentation. While I was impressed so far, I do not know its limitations; but building a course on it will certainly let me see what it has and does not have for bandwidth and accessibility.
This week has been just a bit crazy trying to get my work done, going on an interview and then getting the full time job rather unexpectedly.  There is much to explore in Jen’s course and I do not have the time to see and do everything I want to.  Each week we are presented with topics like this one that intrigue me and make me want to dig in and…”just get ‘er done…” as Larry the Cable Guy would say.
The importance of a learning module cannot be taken lightly.  It is the first thing one must do to get the course out to the public, whether it is a closed system like Blackboard or an open system like Instructure Canvas.  Since I like using Google, Diigo and Wiki spaces, I can see the open Learning Management System will lend itself to everything I could hope to accomplish.  I hope to revisit this blog in the future…once I have actually used it.

Finally as I wrote in our class Diigo application, incorporating the ten best practices of Boettcher is essential and I have listed some of my ideas below:

As to incorporating the ten best practices, the possibility of a synchronous session for first introductions, Canvas introductions, profiles in Canvas and a open area to go to for informal discussion, like a student lounge would be ideal. I do not know if this is available on Canvas. Creating a supportive community would be easy if using Wikispace and Canvas and Diigo, much like we have in this Essentials of eLearning class. There is a place for lectures, as seen in my Wikispace. In my presentation on Wikispace, I have used a power point presentation to post expectations (I would still need to make it module specific though). Also, a variety of activities could be done on Voice Thread, in Diigo, on Wikispaces and in glogster or in a Google or other Blog.

Links for feedback like the form we did in this course, will be ideal for feedback. Also, feedback to the students on their Diigo discussions and on Voice Thread, Wikispaces and in the online form or by voice and video would be good tools to incorporate, as well. Glogster and blogs serve the purpose of evaluating and/or assessing the progress of the students as they share what they are learning. Also, our list shows even more ways the learners can get creative and be heard in their own way. Including current events into the program is an essential element in my opinion and helps stimulate creative thinking and makes the course content relevant too. Core concepts and personal learning are tied together and they should not be forgotten and will not, as I assemble my LMS content. Finally a wrap up project seems the best way to address cumulative thinking in learners.



2 comments:

  1. I'm glad you had a chance to poke around with Canvas. I think you'll find a lot of what you need there. It has a wiki and discussion as part of the system. You can set it up so it's open or closed. I haven't spent much time finding out the limitations of using the free trial, so I don't know if you could actually use it to teach a course, or if you have to pay for licensing. It looks like your thoughts are really coming together, here. Congrats on the new job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comments Jen. Sorry you had to read it before I corrected the spelling mistakes and grammer.

    ReplyDelete